Monday, March 26, 2018

Visual Imagery- Story Wheel Strategy- Hailey Cordell


Visual Imagery-Story Wheel
By: Hailey Cordell

After reading a variety of articles, blog posts, Pinterest posts, and my main textbook for this Read to Succeed class, I have gained knowledge on the importance of reading and writing among the content areas.  I have read about different strategies, some that I could incorporate into my special education, preschool classroom and some that were just not suitable for my classroom at this time.  However, I took each of the strategies and ideas that I read about and stored them away in case there comes a time that is appropriate to use them.  

When reading about different strategies, I came across an article online that discussed the importance of visual imagery while reading.  Visual Imagery by Reading Rockets states, "Good readers construct mental images as they read a text. By using prior knowledge and background experiences, readers connect the author's writing with a personal picture. Through guided visualization, students learn how to create mental pictures as they read."  I absolutely loved this idea because this is exactly what I attempt to have my students do while we read a variety of books each day.  It is important for the student to visualize while reading because it keeps the listener or reader actively engaged the entire time.  In turn, this strategy helps students to comprehend the text because they are actually understanding the actions taking place within the story.

This online article gave a few different strategies to use when having students visualize a story.  The strategy that I loved and that I have now used within my classroom is the Story Wheel.  

How to implement Story Wheel:
1. Teacher prepares a circle that is segmented into 4-8 segments.  This can be based on               student's cognitive and ability level.
2. The group or student will read a story together.
3. After reading, the student or group will list the important events that took place in the           story.  Attempt to keep this at the number of segments you have provided on the wheel.
4. Have the students illustrate the events on their story wheel.
5. Students will then write the title of the book and the author in the center circle.
6. These Story Wheels can be placed around the room or in a reading center for others to           enjoy.

 This is an example of a blank Story Wheel.
 This is an example of a completed Story Wheel.


The most beneficial aspect of this particular strategy is that this can be adapted to just about any grade level.  Even though my students are unable to write words and most of them do not fully understand or know their letters or letter sounds, every child is able to draw a picture.  I decided to implement this strategy after Christmas because most of my students were able to draw a recognizable picture by this time.  We complete this strategy in small groups so that I have the opportunity to walk my students through the process.  Students in the upper grades that are able to fully comprehend a story on their own could potentially complete this strategy independently.  It is important to know your students and their ability levels.


For more information about this writing strategy, please visit Visual Imagery by Reading Rockets

3 comments:

  1. Hailey, I love this idea! It is perfect and so easily adaptable for our little ones who can't write yet. They express their ideas and thoughts through pictures. This strategy is perfect for practicing and assessing retelling a story and sequencing events of a familiar story, which are both 4K standards. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hailey, pictures are so much more applicable for young learners. As Melissa mentioned how the idea could help with retelling the story and sequencing, I also see oportunities to help students to answer "Wh" questions. Students' comprehension and ability to reflect on the story provides metacognition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hailey,
    I really like this story strategy and the way it provides a structure for students visualizing the events in a story. I like how they could use this to not only sequence events but to also retell the story using the wheel as a scaffolding tool. This strategy is adaptable for multiple grade levels too.

    Thanks,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete