Monday, March 5, 2018

Katrina Hankins Blog Post 1

K. Hankins
Reading/Writing in Content Area Blog #1 
March 2018


Copyright © 2018 Norcross Wildlife Foundation. All Rights Reserved.
I don’t know about you, but I’m not a single-use kind of girl.  One and done k-cups are not for me.  I’d much rather put on a full pot with my trusty Mr. Coffee.  My Swell water bottle is also more my style than the use of plastic cups and bottles that are tossed into our convenient but overused refuse system.  So as an educator, there is nothing more pleasing to me than a powerful resource that can be used in multiple ways.  That resource is the video called Austin’s Butterfly.  I’ve been using this versatile gem for a few years now and surely hope that it may be helpful for you.
Austin’s Butterfly is a video that follows a discussion that a teacher has with students regarding a drawing made by Austin, a first grade student.  He is asked by his teacher to think like a scientist as he draws a butterfly of his choice.  His first attempt is a pretty good butterfly by first grade standards, but does not represent the work of a scientist.  For this reason, Austin’s Butterfly is a wonderful resource to use with students if you are modeling observing, thinking, and writing like a scientist.
Conversations continue through the process Austin uses to improve his model. Students in the groups share their thoughts regarding what he needs to do to make it better.  Here the teacher highlights the importance of specific feedback.  It is the results of specific feedback from his peers that we see in subsequent drawings of Austin’s butterfly.  Once again, this resource can be helpful for students to see the value of constructive conversations and specific feedback.  Bonus feature!---Although Austin’s work is from 2002; it fits in nicely with the current trend of developing growth mindsets in our classrooms.
Spoiler alert--As one little kindergartener points out, Austin made six drafts and we can too as we work toward our goals and mastery.  In our professional development and data team meetings, we are discussing the importance of goal setting.  I used this video to illustrate the point that whether we are working in reading, writing, or in a content area, we need to have goals in mind and strategies to use in the process.  One and done is not working for us and it is certainly not working for our students.  The learning process will work well if we use our time and resources wisely, if we guide conversations constructively, and if we all grow together as learners.  Then our students will take flight right before our eyes.



https://vimeo.com/38247060

7 comments:

  1. I love this idea! What better way to help students see that it's okay to grow as they work? This would be a great way to help teachers and students see how scientists keep track of their learning and could be applied to scientific writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! As I was reading through your post I was thinking about my students (kindergarten) writing in their journal. I try to encourage them to write sentences with more detail, but first think about what you want to write and how to make it more interesting. I tell them all the time, this a work in progress so do not rush and try to finish first because trust you are not done. I really push my higher and middle students who have mastered the kindergarten sight word list because I know they can give me a lot more information. So on the flip side of this Katrina instead of the scientists point of view, I would consider mine "little authors" but we generally have the same idea. Great work and love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! I would love to see your students at work. It sounds like you always have them involved in wonderfully meaningful activities.

      Delete
  3. I came across Austin's Butterfly a few years ago. I also showed it to my students. It was so great to show students that if you keep trying you can have something beautiful. It won't always come to you right away, you will have to try many times. Sometimes adults need those reminders as well. Thanks for reminding me of this jewel. I think I will show my students this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at how much the drawing improved when the students worked together to " read" the picture like scientists and when they gave the 'author' specific positive suggestions for improvement. I think even preschoolers could watch this video and with support, could be taught how to use the groups to improve their " writing", using the drafting process. It was stunning to see how insightful these young minds were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katrina,
    The more I learn about you the more I respect and appreciate who you are as an educator and as a person. I am glad that you do not operate with the "one and done" principal but rather choose strategies and structures that stand the test of time and are malleable in terms of application for grade level and subject matter. "Austin's Butterfly" video is definitely that. I discovered so many applications for use with this short clip such as the revision process depending on purpose and genre, the opportunity to go back and look at a draft through a different lens, the opportunity to seek peer feedback and to value different perspectives, and most of all, the growth over time mindset that you pointed out. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katrina
    First, I totally agree with Dawn!! I love this mindset and really want this to be key next year with my students. I am already thinking about all I have learned in this class and my others as well as what I have learned from amazing teachers like you at RES and the changes I will make for myself, my students and my classroom next school year. I am VERY excited just thinking about it and how wonderful it will be. Change can be scary, but it can also be exciting and extremely positive. Maybe butterflies will be my new theme :) Thanks for the reminder and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete