Thursday, March 29, 2018

The struggle is REAL...


I feel like I have a permanent seat on the struggle bus this schoolyear.  I was out on maternity leave October, November, and December and I’ve had a hard time balancing everything since I’ve returned to school.  I have a wonderful group of kids this year but when I returned after winter break I felt like I didn’t know my kids.  I didn’t know what they did while I was gone, what they were struggling with, or any strengths they had.  When we went over the student data sheet in class I took the time to fill in most of the categories and try to really get to know my students better.  I think this helped a lot.
I have also been really stressed with guided reading this year.  When I came back I was told that I had to do meet with my groups every day.  In the past I always met with my groups two or three times a week and I couldn’t wrap my head around how this would work.  I met with our literacy coach and she helped me with my schedule and time management.  I had a really hard time at first but we are finally getting into a groove and my kids are making so much progress.  I feel this is the first year I have truly gotten to know them as readers.
I have been struggling to get science and social studies in and meet with my guided reading groups.  After a lot of begging, our school has decided to buy leveled readers that cover our standards during guided reading groups.  This will give me more time to meet with my students.  I can work on reading skills and I teach them to read like a scientist and how to read books about our social studies standards.  I hope this helps set them up for their future.  This class has made me realize how important it is to introduce disciplinary literacy in the early grades.  I want them to know how to read these texts for their future classes and careers.   I plan to cut out my science/social studies block completely and cover the skills during guided reading.   I can let them explore and ask questions they want to know about the topics.  My students this year lack confidence, by working in small group I can help them with their questions and hopefully give them an opportunity to learn more things through research.  I will also have more of an opportunity to help them pick out important information in the text guide them in notetaking.
This year has been the hardest year of my career.  Trying to balance being a mom and a teacher is so hard (props to all of you that do it successfully).  I feel that when I spend time with my family I’m not doing enough for school or if do all of my school stuff then I’m neglecting my family.  If anyone has any advice or tips, I would appreciate them.   This year has been hard but I feel like I’m currently teaching my students the best way possible.  I will use disciplinary literacy during my small groups and do even more of it next year.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog post. I do not have children of my own yet but I often wonder how moms out there do it all! It sounds like you work at a very supportive school. I'm glad that you were able to work with your literacy coach to plan out your guided reading groups. This year will only make you stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, being a mom and a teacher is hard! As they get older and you are trying to taxi them to sports, dances etc while still being able to grade and plan is tough to juggle. You can do it! I am really glad to hear that your district bought you leveled readers that meet the standards. I need to go through my leveled readers and use them more to integrate science and social studies. I too feel that I do not have enough time in the day to teach all subjects. However, as you mentioned it would be easier to teach with the leveled readers. Keep your head up and I promise it will get easier and you will learn to juggle being a mommy and a teacher. -Brandi Nolan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt like my worst time as a teacher was when I came back after having my first child. It IS a struggle! Life will settle down...or at least, all this craziness will become your new normal and it won't be this hard forever :) You are giving your students the best that you can every day, though, and you are giving them the attention that they need to know that you care for them. It's an intense schedule you have in your classroom, but that time to know them as readers and little people is making such a difference. You said they've made a lot of progress--that's because of you! Keep up the good work and know that you're making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to read your post because I agree with you and have been on the struggle bus this year. I cannot even imagine throwing being a new mom into the mix. I want to encourage you because you are an amazing teacher and I am so thankful I have had the pleasure of working with you. I believe that you have to learn how to balance more than anything. Personally I also believe that family should come first, even though this is easier said than done. I think with all of the new stuff we are required to do has made it even more difficult for us as teachers. I love that you plan to incorporate disciplinary literacy into small groups. I think the answer to finding time for science and social studies is through integration of disciplinary literacy. I have started trying to pull guiding reading books that cover our science and social studies for second grade. So far it has been difficult with the lack of non-fiction books that are on an appropriate level and meet the standards. Hopefully we will be getting some new books for the literacy closet in the future. No matter what remember you are an amazing teacher and mother. Of course, I do not have children of my own yet, but I already cannot imagine juggling being a mom and teacher. Just remember it's all about balance and doing the best you can. You are a rock star!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jessica,
    I had to smile when I read your first sentence about having a permanent seat on the struggle bus this year. You are not alone my friend, we have all had a front row seat on the struggle bus as teachers, as wives, as mothers and please know the ride won't last forever. I am glad that the "Deep Data At a Glance" chart helped provide you with a usable tool to get to know your students when you came back from maternity leave. I am also glad that this class has helped you see the importance of disciplinary literacy in the younger grades and that the leveled texts for your standards-based content has given you a resource to help support students' growth of informational reading and writing skills. This seems like a great structure to help promote integration and to also provide you with more time for meaningful instruction. Please know that while this is a difficult time in trying to be all things to all people, it will be the most precious time when you look back in ten years. All we can ever do is the best we can with the time we have. It never feels like enough, but it has to be. You are enough. I am proud of you and your are growing children at school and at home.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading your post. It took me back a few years to when my three babies were young and starting school and I was trying to juggle it all. They are now all teens with a circus of schedules, but it gets a little easier. LOL. I think you did the right thing of going to your reading coach for assistance on how to manage the grouping and time schedule of your class. Glad you finally figured out something that worked. Hang in there! It does get better. After 20+ years, I'm still trying to figure things out. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete